14 November 2014

OddPunks!

I have recently learned how to cast resin, taught by the multi-talented Kathy Davis...

First, I sculpt an original character in polymer clay...


...then pour a mold over the original.


When the mold rubber has set, the original sculpt comes out, and liquid resin is poured in. When the resin sets, the piece is demolded and detailed with paint and eyes, then I construct a doll.



I'm currently making OddPunks and DragonPunks.


'Punks have resin heads and feet, and the pieces are assembled on a soft body covered with faux fur, standing between 4 and 6 inches tall. I'm pretty sure they don't bite, but I'm not making any promises...


My cast resin figures are handmade, but are NOT one-of-a-kind.


The 'Punks are going up in my Etsy shop...and I'll have a couple new dolls in there, too...stay tuned!!

5 comments:

Ffoenix Rae said...

Love your work!!!!

Lisa Poirier said...

Soooo exited to say thanks so much!Last year ifound one of your books,Faemaker,and decided to make some with my 10to12 kids at school.woooow what a success, amazing productions with little help. Youre amazing work and instructions made it fun and easy to follow ☺

Lady Moonbeam said...

Hi There, Great post. I'm wondering why would one want to use resin rather than just creating polymer faces from the molds you make? Thanks, Lili

DawnS/Oddfae said...

Resin is much stronger than polymer clay...

Melanie said...

Love your turquoise cutie! Suspect he's a toe biter tho.....