21 May 2011

Greenman



"Please to bend down to the one called the Green Man, forever to him you're tied..."

The Green Man has struck a deep chord in me since the first time I laid eyes on one.

The Green Man is a foliate "gargoyle" image found on and in churches and temples all over Western Europe, parts of Asia, and North Africa. He is probably as old as mankind itself, and is known by many names; Jack-in-the-Green, the Old Man in the Woods, or simply, the Green Man. These carvings and reliefs are variously interpreted as pagan fertility symbols, or representations of resurrection and rebirth.

For me, he is the embodiment of Nature and all outdoors, something very dear to my heart. Making Green Man beads and brooches is like sketching in clay, and lets me indulge in colorwork that I don't use when I make dolls.

Available on Etsy...

1 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Awesome!
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings
Robin