01 August 2007

Hey Look! I've Updated My Blog...


...finally back from San Diego Comic Con, but not recovered!!

Sold three dolls, and it looks like I *will* be doing FaerieCon in October. The only downside to FaerieCon is I might not get to go to Sandy Camp...I'll have to work it out.

The Manticore got a lot of attention -- to the point where someone picked him up and started to "fly" him around! Greg nearly had a coronary. And one "cute old lady" (as Greg described her) scratched the werewolf on the head and told him he was adorable (the doll, not my husband, LOL)! The most popular dolls seemed to be the monsters and Arjhaan -- and the half-doll I made for my sign! I'm working her up into a full doll today.

Norm and Leta, the folks who run Chimera Publishing (where my dolls were on display), are working with me on plans to do prints of my dolls, not photos, but my drawings of my dolls. They're going to be coaching Greg and I in printing, shipping and the business end of things.

They also introduced me to some of their artist friends, people whom they publish and adore...Greg Spalenka, Stephanie Roberts, Ciruelo, and the Frouds -- wonderful people, every one!! We all got to spend time together after hours, visiting scrumptious restaurants and just having fun. I'll be working with Stephanie and Ciruelo on figures based on their work.

I was glad to finally meet fellow dollmakers Patti Culea and Noel Wolfman when they stopped to visit the oddfae and me -- such delightful ladies!! I'm hoping to visit their doll clubs in future...

I didn't actually get to see much of the show, but I had *such* a good time.

We stopped at the hotel bar for a nightcap after dinner one night, and bumped into Brian -- Toby joined us a little later. We talked about art, Faerie, costuming, and movies and books. Brian talked with me for a long time about how he and I create art, what our studios are like, and about Jim Hensen. Toby and Brian had some wonderful stories about making Labyrinth.

Our booth was near a costumer/clothier for Renfaire, and I scored some beautiful skirts at $10 each. Leta and I discovered skelanimals and have become rabid collectors. Bud Plant actually had no books I was interested in this year -- that's a first!!

I haven't drawn in such a long time, I wonder if I remember how!! Those old skills are so atrophied, they may no longer work...I need to go downstairs and dig out all my pens and see if they are any good.

I am totally exhausted! I'm also totally inspired! I'm searching for all my old art supplies and getting ready to take a whack at drawing my oddfae...

5 comments:

Megan said...

Awesome! Sounds like you had a great time. Wish I could have been there. Next year!

Karen Mallory said...

Hi Dawn, Glad you sold three dolls and I am glad you had a great experience. I am sure you will jump right back into drawing. It is like riding a bike!
hugs Karen (who you send to in the DollStreet round robin)

thecoppermouse said...

Dear Dawn

Man oh man, I couldn't wait to hear all about your experiences at SDCC! It's so nice to see you've made some new connections and other interesting opportunities. It's so exciting! :)

Happy Dollmaking,
Melisa

HungarianKate said...

Wow! It sounds like you had an amazing time! Food, art, friends and little "monsters"...what could be better! Glad to hear it was so much fun and so inspirational!

Noadi said...

I'm so completely jealous that you got to hang out with the Frouds!