20 December 2006

A "New" Sewing Machine


I've been sewing on a 12-year-old Singer, but I have a "new" machine -- a 1951 Necchi Bu; it works as well or better than the Singer, and is so easy to operate! I found this beauty on eBay...my Mom taught me to sew on a machine like this when I was a kid, and I was very sad when her machine was sold out of the family. The cabinet has a couple of dings, but for a 65-year-old piece of furniture it looks great...I just need a vintage knob to replace the one missing from the front. Think I can find one on eBay...? =-)

4 comments:

Judi W. said...

That's neat! I think that's the brand of machine I bought when I was in Texas a few years ago. I gave it to my daughter and g-d knows what she did with it! I just had the machine though, not the cabinet. Made for interesting sewing, LOL.

Kai said...

Dawn, I'm thrilled to see you blogging so I can keep up with what new things you create! You are SO one of three my favorite doll artists, and I drool over all your pieces! In fact, I JUST said to someone 2 days ago that if you EVER teach an online class, I will take it in a heartbeat! Welcome to BlogWorld and I see you sew as well as you sculpt!

S. Nicolas Originals said...

Hi Dawn. You'll really enjoy that machine. I have my grandmother's old treddle machine which I use occasionally. Still works like a charm. Your Fae make me smile. Love them.

mike said...

Hi dawn, I am a recent retiree and have always wanted a sewing machine. I do not know how to sew nor have I ever owned a machine. I simply have had this latent desire to own a sewing machine. Recently, I was wandering through an estate sale on the last day - everything was pretty well picked over. My eyes fixed on a small cabinet and I wandered over to investigate. I found a 1951 Necchi BU in pristine condition with all attachments and original manual. I hymmed and hawwwed and ended up buying this beautiful machine and cabinet for $30.00. My wife asked what I intend to do with it and I answered that I will learn to use the machine and learn to sew. So - at age 62 I am hoping to turn a life long dream into reality with this beautiful machine.

Mike